Why people do not set goals, how to set effective objectives, goals and follow through on your realistic goals for 2010.
“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”
Zig Ziglar on setting goals
With New Years coming up, the number of members in gyms will drastically rise as fast food sales will only slightly fall and health food sales rise. New Year, new life, right? People believe that January 1st is the start of a new life, and more many it can be. However, notice the amount of people in the gym at the beginning of the New Year? Look at it 2 weeks later and youâ€™ll notice that 90% of those people are gone. Why is this so?
Goals are the foundation of your dreams. Goals are the driving force behind designing and living your desired lifestyle. This goal worksheet will help build this foundation. First we need to take a look at some common reasons people do not set goals.
5 Reasons Why People Do Not Set Goals
If there is one important thing that I learned throughout my lifetime, it is the power of setting goals. A small percentage of people (studies have shown less than 10%) have WRITTEN goals that they want to achieve. Within this small percentage, another even smaller percentage actually takes ACTION STEPS to achieve their goals. So if setting goals is a simple tool to achieve whatever you so desire in life, then why do so few people do set goals?
- They do not know what they want â€“ Ask many people what they want to do in life? What do they want to achieve? What experiences do they want to have? Many times, people do not know the answers to these questions.
- They do not know how to effectively set goals â€“ Many people do not know how to effectively set and take ACTION towards their goals. They think about what they want but do not know why they want whatever it is, or they do not know how to achieve what it is they are looking to achieve.
- They have set goals before and failed to following through â€“ For those that have set goals in the past, have failed to achieve their goals. This leads them to not believe in the power of goal setting. One of the main reasons they failed is because they did not FOLLOW THROUGH on their goals. This goes along with knowing how to set effective REALISTIC goals, which we will learn how to do.
- It takes time â€“ Of course it takes time. So does watching Seinfeld reruns, or aimlessly searching Facebook.
- People are afraid to dream â€“ Remember growing up of a kid, all the things in life you wanted to be? I wanted to be a professional hockey player, I dreamed it, I lived it. Every day I was happy because I was taking action to be Mario Lemieux. It was what I wanted. Once you get older, where does this passion go? Throughout much formal education, people become â€œmoldedâ€ and â€œconfinedâ€ to dream. Many people lose their passions in life and become controlled by 9-5 lifestyles, doing jobs they do not want to.
7 Tips to Set Effective Goals
After learning many different techniques to goal, here are 7 steps in order to set effective goals and drive passion into your life:
- Know what you want â€“ You got to know what you want in life. Only through turning off the many distracters in todayâ€™s lifestyle such as the internet, cell phones, and the television can we truly sit down and think about what it is we truly want. You need to write in detail what it is you want. Clarity in this aspect is POWER. VISUALIZE what you want and BE SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE!
- Know why you want to achieve that goal â€“ What is it that youâ€™re going to get out of taking action towards and achieving this goal? Think of the outcome. Come up with as many reasons as you can as to why you want this goal. This will provide PASSION and PURPOSE in your life. VISUALIZE why you want that goal and AGAIN BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE!
- Break it into smaller goals â€“ Once you find out what it is you want, break it down into smaller, more achievable goals. This will take a larger goal and help make it more attainable. Completing your smaller goals will keep you motivated, inspired, and passionate toward your final goal.
- Set a deadline â€“ Setting deadlines forces people to take action, especially for procrastinators. Many people put off doing things, however, whenever a deadline is set, it helps people to move to action. Setting deadlines also helps you evaluate where you should be and help you with the later steps.
- Plan how you are going to achieve this goal â€“ You need a plan on how your going to achieve your goals. This will act as a daily guide, which will fire your passion. An example goal could be to lose 15 pounds by March, one step in your plan could be get to the gym 3 days/week.
- Create positive affirmations â€“ Write out a sentence or two of how you would feel having achieved that goal. For example, if your goal is to lose 10 pounds by March and one of the reasons is because it will give you more energy, your positive affirmation could be â€œNow that I have so much more energy in life, I can keep up and play with my kids more.â€
- HANDWRITE it down â€“ This is important, do not overlook it. You need to handwrite your goal down on paper. Handwrite the goal, why, how, and when you are going to achieve that goal. This should not be a problem since you should have your computer, television, and cell phone off.
4 Ways to Follow Through With Your Goals:
Now that you have set your goals, here are 4 steps you need to do in order to follow through and achieve your set effective goals:
- Review daily â€“ Everyday you should look at your goals. Look at what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it. Go as far as to writing your goals down on sticky notes and placing them all over your house or office. If your goal is to see your abs by June, then print or cut out pictures of those who already have them. Sounds corny, but it works.
- Adjust actions â€“ Review your daily actions and see if they are positive toward achieving your goals. If they are not, get rid of it. Do not keep doing the same things that get you nowhere over and over again.
- Adjust goals â€“ If you feel you need to adjust a goal, go ahead and adjust it. Do not feel bad about adjusting goals. A lot of us have roadblocks toward achieving our goals. Brush it off, adjust your goal, and develop a new plan to get back on track.
- Get excited and take ACTION â€“ The most important step that most people miss in achieving their goals is taking action. People can set goals and look at them but if they continue to sit there and do not take ACTION steps to achieving their goals they will get nowhere. You have everything written down, you know why, how, and when youâ€™re going to achieve your goal. Your goals should invoke passion, inspiration, and motivation in your life. If they do not, then maybe you did not set a realistic and effective goal. Maybe you do not really want that goal.
Remember itâ€™s not achieving your goals that define your lifestyle but the DAILY ACTIONS you take to achieve that goal. Create your goals and start living with passion today!
â€œDiscipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.â€
Now you know how to set EFFECTIVE goals, what are your goals for 2010? What are your resolutions for 2010? Whether you want health in 2010 or happiness or whatever it is, make your goals effective.Email This Post Print This Post